This is a very good question! So many great entrepreneurs are popping up these days with some fantastic ideas for new businesses. I’m not just talking about the Donald Trumps of the world, but more about people who are
- already working in other jobs, maybe not making that much money, but they’ve got passion for something else and want to make it into a business.
- are currently NOT working, but they’ve got passion and a great idea for a new business but of course, money’s tight right now.
- have a small business that is already underway. Their business is doing okay but they still don’t have a website and budget is just not there.
- are going to school and have a fantastic idea for a new business or product. They’re passionate about it, know how to move forward but again, not much of a budget.
Maybe you are, or know someone who falls into a category like these.
One thing I like about the current economy is that being in my line of work I’ve met many such people who are very passionate about some great ideas for business. It’s inspiring to see. Even if they have little or no budget to get started. That’s not a deal breaker for the new or small business at all. There is a great fix for these situations.
WordPress is a fantastic CMS (content management system). And it’s Free. With a few clicks in your website hosting control panel you can install WordPress on your site. WordPress can be used for a simple blog or a complete website. My site, ImagePerceptions.com, although it’s a complete custom design, is built on WordPress.
(the way your site will look – colors, layouts, etc…)
There are many free themes out there to choose from. I’ve tried a few and they can get you started. Some recommend this as a way to go. I have to say, as a web developer, the better tools you use, the less headaches you’ll have and the more enjoyable and effective your new site will be. Your website is a vital part of your business. I recommend purchasing a premium theme. This will cost you less than $100.00.
I use and recommend StudioPress themes (affiliate link). They have a lot of very attractive themes available that can give your business a very professional look right out of the box. Check out their site to see how good your site could look for little effort. www.StudioPress.com (affiliate link) For more about them you can read my endorsement on the Affiliations page (or at the bottom of this post).
You need hosting for your site. This is the place where all your files are online so they can be seen by people surfing the web. Good hosting is key in maximizing your online business presence and effectiveness, while minimizing any headaches. There are several good hosting companies out there. I use and recommend HostGator (affiliate link). I’ve been doing web development for over 15 years and I’ve been using their services for the past six years. It just makes my job, and my clients online business development a LOT easier. You can get great hosting with them for just a few dollars a month. They also allow you to easily install WordPress on your site with just a few clicks through your control panel.
- Get a domain name (often no more than around $10.00/year from ImageWebDomains.com)
- Get good hosting with HostGator (affiliate link) for a few dollars a month
- Install WordPress with a few clicks (free!)
- Get a StudioPress theme (affiliate link) for less than $100.00
- Start adding your business info, picks, audio, video, etc…
Your site is now online and you’ve spent around maybe $150.00 (with a year’s hosting for the site).
As a web developer you might think “Why is this guy telling us how we can do this ourselves?” Because there are a lot of people out there with great ideas and should be able to get their businesses started, even on a shoe-string budget.
If your business still needs…
- full custom design
- you’d like to go the WordPress route I’ve described but just aren’t comfortable doing it yourself
I would love to work with you and get you set up with everything you need. Get in touch with me and we can get started.
Hopefully this gives you a good idea of how you can get started no matter what your budget is. Do you have any questions? Do you have some other suggestions? I’d love to hear from you. Leave your comments below!